This customer, who did not wish to be named, experienced what many others do: For Version 8 of the AE there was an SQL script which accessed the database and delivered user-defined analyses. This script was huge – and after the update to Version 9 it no longer functioned. Also, the original developer was no longer available.
I was retained as an expert and visited the customer for the analysis. Back in my office, I penetrated the script through reverse engineering, simplified it and adapted it to Version 9. I completely rebuilt the reporting job, tested it, and documented it in such a way that with any future problems solutions can be found more quickly.
After extensive testing directly on the customer’s system, I installed the new solution and put it into operation. In a final workshop, I explained the new jobs in detail to the employees.
The customer benefited from:
- Functional and tested scripts.
- Simple and comprehensible SQL.
- Employees who understand the new functions.
- Detailed documentation.
This way, with the next version update everything will work without two days of reverse engineering.